msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: Creating a new Unit

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: MSAR-List <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: Creating a new Unit
  • Date: Thu Dec 5 18:01:01 2002

Jorene Downs <Jorene@ceoates.com> wrote:
>It would make more sense to me to default to the list, then optionally
>communicate privately. ???

I agree. Unfortunately, when the default reply is to the list,
the software on lists.ibiblio.org at present throws away the
sender's address, so all messages are "From" the list. A few
messages circa October 25 demonstrate this; one of them gives
no clue who sent it. Very Bad.

Una Smith <una@lanl.gov> wrote:
>> Heather, for what it's worth, although my unit's name includes
>> the word "Sheriff" we are not police officers, nor even civilian
>> deputies.

>Some volunteer SAR organizations are required by local standards to qualify
>as Reserve Peace Officers. Our local SAR response is a combination of
>SAR-trained deputies and multiple volunteer organizations.

Yup. New Mexico has no such requirements anywhere, as far as I
know, but many MSAR units in the state do require members to be
police officers, or to be civilian deputies.

Una Smith
Santa Fe, New Mexico