market-farming - [Market-farming] Heritage wheat, Facebook etc

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Heritage wheat, Facebook etc
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 16:55:39 -0400

Hi

Nice to see this forum active, thought it went the way of the dinosaurs LOL.  I don't like Facebook, I used to work in Internet security and I find that place to be a huge security risk, they change the rules without notice and sell every bit of information they get on you without a second thought.  I think its not much better than a con game.  If people knew what was really going on there they should be appalled but then some people send strangers their nude pictures without thinking of the consequences so I'm not surprised about Internet recklessness.  Still enough people use it and somehow do things that suggest everybody should be compelled to do the same.  A lot of small businesses put up sites there  but I don't know if they realize that to access these commercial sites one usually has to join Facebook and expose ones self to all the risks that produces and many people, myself included don't think its worth it so we have a harder time doing business with those that rely on Facebook for marketing.  Personally I think its better to be safe than sorry but everybody has to make their own judgments. Why does Facebook use these strong-arm tactics?  Because they make money selling you out every way they can and their product is YOUR personal information.

Sorry for the rant but I don't think people realize what's going on behind the internet scenes, privacy is non existent, its easy to be taken for a big ride and not even have a clue so please be careful.  Its a great tool but not without more risk than you may realize and the laws have a long way to go to catch up to the issues involved.

I posted about heritage wheat a while back.  I've had some concerns about growing Hard Wheats here in Ohio and really didn't get any answers.  >From my research I had concerns that the humid weather here wouldn't produce good bread wheat as there is quite a bit of evidence that Hard bread wheats grown in humid environments end up producing low gluten wheat similar to soft wheat that makes decent cake flour but not so great bread flour.  Anyway I know there are somewhat humid regions like France that grow bread flour but France is known for low protein, including gluten flours although obviously enough to produce decent bread.

So before I made a commitment to growing some heritage wheat I bought several varieties of locally grown hard bread wheat varieties and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed.  They tasted good and made good cake type baked goods but fell flat, figuratively and literally when it came to real bread.  I was able to make a decent looking loaf, light enough with a bit of working and OK table bread (with wild fermentation) but they didn't hold up to sandwich standards, tended to fall apart. They did a lot better when I mixed some Montana grown wheat in which did improve the flavor quite a bit but adding adjuncts or other flour types (beans potatoes, other grains like rye etc)  became problematic.  Now I've used some of these same wheat varieties grown in places like Montana and Kansas and they contained more than enough gluten to make a great sandwich loaf, even with some limited adjuncts, so my only conclusion is that the negative Data concerning growing hard wheats in a humid environment must have merit.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any heirloom hard wheat of French or other Humid area origins but even those areas aren't as humid as we are as far as I know.  I went to the OOEFA conference and attended a class that were supposedly about heritage wheat but no mention was given them except when I asked questions, even then I got very little information about them except a few names of locally developed heirloom soft wheat varieties like Logan that I already knew about.  Bottom line is I put that idea on hold for a while but thought I'd post my impressions in case somebody else was considering it.

So my impression at this point, although I've not yet given up, is that growing a good quality hard bread wheat in Ohio is a lot like chasing unicorns only to find out they are Rhinos.  Doesn't mean there isn't good wheat grown here, just not the bread kind.  That said, if anybody has evidence to the contrary I'd be very glad to hear it and eat my words.

For some reason I always seem to be the person asking questions nobody has the answer to, Oh well.  Not sure if that means I'm in the front or out to lunch LOL.  I guess I'm one of those "outside the box" people but it keeps life interesting.

Anyway right now I'm busy with dairy goats, bottle feeding, milking dehorning, castrating etc Not to mention cleaning out the stalls I've been putting off all winter. Sold some yearling weathers for slaughter this week, It has to be done I guess but it always bothers me.  I did sell some bucks for breeding though and its nice to see them go to a good place, part of the reason I always get good registered stock.

I'm also rebuilding my transmission after my U-joints went bad and cracked the transmission housing, turns out its a very common problem with these Chevy trucks with Allison transmissions.  Bad design, they didn't bother to brace the transfer case so when the U-joints go bad it shakes enough to crack the clutch housing which GM wants $800 for but you can get them from places like Amazon and E-bay for about $400, of course there are gaskets, fluids and special tools you have to get to work on the darn thing..  Another problem that ALWAYS happens to these trucks sooner or later is that the transfer case pump body, which is aircraft aluminum, rubs on the transfer case housing wearing a hole in it eventually (because the housing is made of softer magnesium).  You can get aftermarket pump rub kits to fix this which only cost about $70 including everything you need except the tools and transfer case oil but it the housing already has a hole in it you have to buy a new housing costing a lot more.  Of course that cost assumes you can do the work yourself.  Sorry to mention this here but these trucks are very common and it will save you a LOT of money if you can get ahead of these problems which WILL occur if you don't do something about them early.  I guess it is a farm truck though LOL

Well better get back to cleaning stalls or it will never get done. Take care all.

Wyatt
Jamestown, Ohio

Wall Street Daily
Peter Schiff: China Just Armed its Financial Missile
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3232/57081b0129481ae86e52st01vuc