market-farming - [Market-farming] planting pawpaws!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] planting pawpaws!
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:14:30 -0400

Title: planting pawpaws!
Richard,

How much dirt do you put over the top of the seed?

Do you let the pots set outside?

Do you let the sprouts in the pots through the first summer?

Thanks for all of your hints.
Christine Burkholder
VA

On 10/25/15 4:04 PM, "Richard Stewart" <rstewart AT zoomtown.com> wrote:

Super simple, no more details than this.  It is not my main business and just something I am playing around with on the side.  Eventually I hope to have about 15 acres of trees around our farm in a natural setting (as opposed to an orchard…which is also quite doable).  I have had some success doing it this way…and some failure.  It is an simple, lazy (or time effective?), method.

I start them from seed.  Put in a pot of looming organic rich soil with a bit of clay mixed in.  Prior to winter.    I place a rock over any bottom hole(s).  Do not let the new plant set a tap root through the bottom of the pot, but the pot must not hold moisture either.  If you cut the tap root they die in transplanting…or at least that is my experience.

I get pawpaws in my compost pile and the corner of my house where I toss the rotten fruit out for the scavengers.

Don't just toss the seeds out if you want to be deliberate though.  Pot and then transplant.  Try to mix up your seed sources so you are making a stand of trees that can easily cross pollinate.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855