market-farming - [Market-farming] Root die off in seedlings

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin Burkholder <burkholders AT glenecofarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Root die off in seedlings
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:53:33 -0500

Title: Root die off in seedlings

What causes seedlings to germinate satisfactorily in ordinary general purpose potting mix, grow to about one inch and gradually turn yellow and stop growing.  Upon checking the plants  a week or two later I find little or no roots.  I fertilized with a modest amount of Plant Tone mixed into the mix when I hydrated it.  I bottom water and do not think I am watering excessively.  This has happened intermittently other years when I mixed worm castings into the mix or used already prepared organic mixes which didn’t require initial fertilization.  I would think that after 25 years of plant starting experience I would have stopped making the mistakes that cause this!