market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] new ag books

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <artisanfarms AT gmail.com>
  • To: Aaron Brower <aaronbrower AT yahoo.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] new ag books
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 07:18:19 -0500

An oldie, but still some interesting information, "Gardening for Profit" by Peter Henderson.

Andy

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Aaron Brower <aaronbrower AT yahoo.com> wrote:
I've recently picked up a few books that i think are worth a mention.

"The Organic Grain Grower" by Jack Lazor: This book is sure to become the primary text on organic grains. Unlike the only other two grain books that I think that could be compared to this one (by Logsdon and Pitzer), this book is meant for the professional. Although he isn't a small-scale grain grower, this book is just as useful to the small farmer. This book addresses any aspect of growing organic grains that one could imagine.

"The Market Gardener" by Jean-Martin Fortier: A well organized and well written book for beginner to intermediate bio-intensive farmers. This book is an abridged, updated "New Organic Grower", except that it is more focused on the business side of it.

"The Intelligent Gardener" by Steve Solomon: This is primarily about building well-balanced, mineralized soils to grow nutrient dense foods. Solomon calls this his most important book and has revised many of his ideas on soils. Before reading this book I was not entirely sure about best practices when it comes to soils. Not only does it now seem clear to me, it seems embarrassingly obvious.

Do others have recommendations?

Aaron