market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Heritage Wheat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Heritage Wheat
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 20:44:12 -0500

I have no problem with charging royalties for something somebody has developed, such as what you mentioned concerning the universities, but charging a royalty on something that has been grown for a couple of centuries as an heirloom variety and unchanged from those genetics doesn't fall into that category IMHO.  If somebody put some work into developing a new strain, even if its roots are from older strains, its bit different than just growing something that you didn't develop and then charging royalties like you own the rights to it, that's what I meant by what companies like Monsanto do.  They have patented things indigenous farmers have been growing for centuries and then claim they own the rights to it.  They do a lot of other underhanded things of course but that's what I was referring to in my post

NetZero now offers 4G mobile broadband. Sign up now.