market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Heritage Wheat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Heritage Wheat
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 10:18:43 -0500

I would like to point out on the whole royalty thing…

This has been something that has been done for centuries.  Many of us that grow potatoes purchase royalty spuds where we pay a 5% fee, usually to a University.  120 years ago breeders got extra money for their seed grains.  No laws preventing you from saving them after you bought them though.  Seed cleaning and breeding was a profession like any other back then and seeds always cost more, in theory because they were closest to the regional genetic stock.

 What is knew (being relative since its been going on 30 years now) with Monsanto is the ongoing genetic lineage that is patented, not the royalty up front.

I had missed it in the earlier conversation as I had a lot on my plate that day.

Just figure I would chime in.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio