market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Heritage Wheat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Heritage Wheat
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:23:02 -0500

Thanks Richard, I might just take you up on your offer of different kinds of support if I ever get this off the ground.  thanks also for the resources, I'll have to look into them.  I had a feeling Turkey red might have lodging issues but since they grew it in Kansas I was hoping it was more resistant than most.

Spelt seems pretty easy to get around here, I know several people growing it.  That said I've had a hard time selling  spelt products.  There are an almost infinite number of other types outside the modern species, Persian, khorasan, emmer, einkorn, Tritucum Vavalov etc. of course.  I imagine some might be good but can one market them successfully?  I really wish I could find some of them to see what their qualities are but its tough to do that.  Einkorn is tempting but I've heard it doesn't tolerate wet soil very well, Emmer is also tempting but I've heard it doesn't make good bread.  I'm looking for a variety that makes good bread since my naturally fermented artisan bakery venture seems to be more successful than my produce business and half the people are worried about modern gluten.  I'm kind of picky about quality so If I like it probably others will too I guess.  Personally my favorite breads are 100% rye but rye is easier to get than heritage wheat for some reason.

Every time I go back to produce, which I like better, I get a barrage of people asking why I'm not baking bread.  It was a bit frustrating and its hard to have time to do everything so I thought I'd try this route, and a few others LOL.  Lots of people growing produce, hardly anybody doing the other stuff.  I'm always wandering off the beaten path for some reason, more interesting

Well back to work, thanks for the input, I'll keep you posted as to what I find.

Wyatt

info.fixyourbloodsugar.com