market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm WiFI

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm WiFI
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 17:16:03 -0500

---- Beth Spaugh <lists AT rhomestead.com> wrote:
> What WiFi do you use to get a signal that travels well over how far? Thank
> you.

Are you talking about tower strength or are you talking about routers (within
the house)?

Towers around here, from Windstream.net, only have about a 3 mile reach, so
if you're not within a tower zone, you can't get their wifi.

IN the house we use Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHz broadband router 54 Mbps.
Ours is from about 2007 (when we first got Wifi). It does NOT reach all
parts of our house well unless it's directly mid-center. Our house is about
2800 sq ft on two floors with walls made with a LOT of hard wood.

Hopefully that answers whichever question you were asking.

I'm sure, too, that wireless routers have improved in the past 4-5 yrs, so
there are probably stronger ones on the market today. They also sell
repeaters that will boost your signal, but I don't know how far their reach
is. With our router our pc's will lose the signal once you go outside and
walk about 10-15' :-( so we don't have wireless in our barn, stable, or
garage.

Bobbett in KY