market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Cooler Construction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <artisanfarms AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Cooler Construction
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 08:31:17 -0500

For my GAPs inspector at the Whole Farm Review level the vinyl floor in the cooler was OK.  GAPs is a multi-level program.  The Whole Farm Review is the most basic evaluation.  Farms can also have specific crops audited, their packing operation, trucking, warehousing, etc... I don't know if the situation would be different if the Packshed was audited separately, but based on my previous work experience with food packaging and food manufacturing facilities, the key points of concern will boil down to separation of food from potential contaminants, washable surfaces and a regular well documented hygiene and sanitation program.

The bigger area of concern for my GAPs audit was bathroom facilities for employees and documentation showing that they were cleaned regularly and that, I'm not making this up, single use paper towels or a hand dryer was used for drying hands.  Farms without employees can get away with using a bathroom in the house without documentation.

My GAPs audit was extremely literal and there wasn't any partial credit.  Items were either fully in compliance or not and each section was totaled up.  If enough points weren't earned or I missed a critical point I would have  failed the audit.

Andy