market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Cooler Construction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Cooler Construction
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 21:28:38 -0800

Hi guys,

I just got a cooler/freezer yesterday. My AC friend can't believe the CoolBot will do what it is supposed to do. I am sending him a link so he can take a look. I learned that you want to recycle an old compressor properly or you could get a $25K fine. Sounds pretty far out, but it makes me think before I do something I would regret.

My former career was concrete floors, walls, etc. Dad says 8 inches (like a wall) has the insulating value of a single pane of glass (R-1). You can put it directly on the correct grade of polystyrene (one that is designed to carry the weight), but it is harder to finish the wet concrete then because the excess water can't get down through the foam. I would put at least 4 inches of sand or gravel on top of the polystyrene and then the concrete. You want to make sure the subgrade below the foam is well-compacted and drained if possible to minimize heaving from winter freezing and breaking. I would also make a thermal break of at least a 1/2" fiber board or wood or even better, foam if you have floor outside your cooler. Maybe the best would be 4 inches or more around the perimeter except at the door (1/2" fiber or redwood) so you don't get a dip for a cart to hang up on.
I am all ears for suggestions.
Vern