market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Cooler Construction

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Todd Lister <toddlister1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Cooler Construction
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:46:30 -0500

Thanks for that info Andy.

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Andy Fellenz <artisanfarms AT gmail.com> wrote:
I went through GAPs certification in 2011 at the Whole Farm Review level.  One of my coolers has a vinyl floor and the small one is built on an insulated steel floor.  Neither surface was an issue.  From a food safety issue, the bigger concerns are going to be that the produce is not placed on the floor (I store mine on inverted totes, which keeps it >6" off the floor), that all surfaces are washable and that a regular schedule is followed to clean the cooler and work area.  Another item which will be of concern is cooler temperature and regular monitoring of temperature.  The biggest change I needed to make as I went through GAPs was documentation.  If your GAPs manual says you will do something, you need to have documentation showing that people were trained how to do it and then they need to document that they have done it.

Andy