market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] snapping tops off carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] snapping tops off carrots
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:50:37 -0800

So how wide are the tops of your ridges when you plant, and what is your planter? I can't get any closer than about 8" with 2 Planet Jr.'s unless I run a single planter down the ridge twice.

I have seen a Scott Biner carrot harvester, and I don't see how a table-top hand-feed version would be feasible, unless maybe upside down without the belts. The machine undercuts, grabs the tops with two belts held together tightly with multiple rollers as it transfers the crop to the topper, which is a set of several blunt blades that slide together like your fingers if you spread your fingers and slide the fingers of both hands past each other to lock your hands. Maybe somebody else can run with that.

Vern