market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] snapping tops off carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shoemaker, William H" <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] snapping tops off carrots
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:45:41 +0000

I know some commercial growers top them in the ground by mowing the tops off.
The tops can be brushed aside or blown off. The type of mower (rotary,
sickle, hammermill, etc.) probably will make a difference in how clean the
process is. But you could still undercut the roots. Lifting them might be
hampered a bit, but eliminating hand-topping might be a good trade-off.

William H. Shoemaker,
Northern Illinois Viticulturist - IGGVA
Illinois Grape Growers and Vinters Association
wshoemak AT illinois.edu