market-farming - [Market-farming] snapping tops off carrots

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] snapping tops off carrots
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:11:15 -0500

We have a technique to pull carrots quickly, but having spent two days snapping tops off, looking at a garage full that will take until at least midnight, and 5 more beds of carrots to go before the deep freeze next week, any suggestions of ways to speed up snapping the tops off?  I left inch stubs last year and don’t want to do that again because they turned nasty and stuck to the carrots and were hard to clean off.  It may come to that again just because of time, but … if there’s a faster way than having them lined up with the roots in one direction and either grabbing a handful with one hand and snapping the tops off with the other, or just controlling the carrots with one hand and snapping with the other, I’d like to know.  We planted really late so I am happy/relieved to have them, but … I have other urgent things to do within the next few days, like dismantle a hoophouse and move it 1100 feet away over winter greens already planted in anticipation that won’t like 15 degree nights with just row cover, and the ground is already freezing.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      http://www.facebook.com/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe

It's not that nice guys finish last. They have a whole different notion where the finish line is. - unkonown