market-farming - [Market-farming] Potato furrows and eggplant (separately)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Potato furrows and eggplant (separately)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 17:08:23 -0400

Two things I'd like to hear the collective wisdom on:

What do folks use to make furrows for potatoes? We used walk-behind rototillers with attachments for years. This past year we got a set-up for the tractor, but it didn't work well. It used a set of discs arranged to push soil to each side. But it wasn't deep enough and we got a lot of green potatoes. I've heard of some people using a middle-buster - is this the best thing? (If so, I'm putting two on my wish list right now!)

Second, can anyone recommend a good heat-tolerant eggplant variety? We like large traditional shape purple-black ones. We love Nadia, but this summer it refused to set fruit for a while. Are there "hot-set" eggplants? I need a reliable productive one, probably a hybrid.

Pam, twin oaks Community, central Virginia, zone 7a
--
Pam Dawling

Author of Sustainable Market Farming, Intensive Vegetable Production on a Few Acres
http://www.sustainablemarketfarming.com/
http://www.facebook.com/SustainableMarketFarming
http://www.newsociety.com/Books/S/Sustainable-Market-Farming