market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] employee bonus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] employee bonus
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 19:39:33 -0500

I think "pay" them for what they did for you while you were gone.  I've found that paying their hourly wage, plus some extra cash and giving a meaningful gift (I usually use an hour and half massage from one of our CSA members) makes for a happy farmer and crew member (i.e. employee) ; )!!!

I think that it is definitely farm dependent, as I have had some employees in the past where CASH ( in Iowa you can give up to $600 without taxes involved)  is their best reward.  This last season I have had a crew member or two where they appreciated some extra pay (cash bonus or overtime pay) but really appreciated a meaningful gift (in my case an hour and half massage from a CSA member) to express my appreciation.  I guess depending on your financial resources and the employee, sometimes a meaningful gift beyond cash can really show your appreciation.

Full Disclosure: If the Farm does well, every full time employee gets a monetary bonus (either hourly wage increase or cash) during the season.  I believe labor is the most limiting factor for any farm, so if you got good ones figure out how to keep them around!

Ben Saunders
Wabi Sabi Farm
Granger, Iowa
www.wabisabi-farm.com