market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tractor Tillers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tractor Tillers
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:26:27 -0700

Allan,
I like Richard's post because it basically says what I have learned. I am not in a position to buy a new Howard or any other tiller for that matter. I know Howard because I happen to be blessed with the use of one. I wasn't suggesting you go buy one, I was using it for an example of a quality tiller that deserves to be fixed when broken.
Dad and I have worked out why we hate working on broken equipment:
1) We aren't very good at it, so it takes a long time and we often break something else while fixing the first problem.
2) We are working on our own stuff and paying in time and money, instead of getting payed like a professional mechanic.
3) It broke while we were using it, meaning we need it now, and we are getting farther behind on what we were doing when the equipment broke.
I am mostly mechanically inept, and I have friends who offer to come help when they hear of my plight and say "Oh, that's easy!" I could never get it done myself, but we do it together--okay, I find the tools for them, learn some mechanicking and we build community. In the busy season, I might have to go do other farm stuff while they fix it without me.
I avoid the local tractor shop as much as possible. They take too long and cost way more on things I can get from the bearing shop or auto parts store. I can even call an out-of-state used tractor/implement store and get it ordered a couple days ahead of the local guys, and get it drop-ship it from half-way across the country and I don't have to go to town to pick it up. Ask old farmers around you where to get parts--maybe they go to the auto parts store, or maybe they only go to the JD tractor store. Maybe they know a great machinist who can build anything and understands farming and will push a motorcycle project aside for a day to help you make a living. I usually give mine a little gift, especially when he brings a rebuilt clutch to me at market on his way out of town on his day off.
I don't like to be beholden to anybody, but I know I will never be a self-made man, so I accept help and the use of other's equipment gratefully (and carefully). If it is the use of a new tractor, I make the owner drive it with my tiller behind and he will get to use the tiller for his field and I will supply him with food, as well.
All that being said, if you are not able to or comfortable doing things this way and you can buy a replacement tiller, do it. You can always sell it after you get your old one fixed.

Vern
Vern's Veggies and More!