market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Crop planning software

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Crop planning software
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 14:03:51 -0500 (EST)

I abandoned several software planning products earlier in the year as not being what I wanted - I could get livestock software but it didn't make provisions for the field work, and crops software which didn't make provisions for the livestock.  In the category of Extreme Geekdom, I set out to learn how to combine some existing homemade Excel spreadsheets from each category, and build more advanced formulas myself to compile that planning information on one page.  Cue up the music from "Mission: Impossible".

I now have something of a master calendar in Excel, which pulls information from other worksheets in the same master file (crops calendar, livestock calendar, equipment calendar, soils calendar, etc).  It's not finished yet, and it's specific to our operation.  But I think enough has been done that folks who need a template could use it to set up or at least guide their own.  I'd be willing to email to folks simply so they could see how those formulas work.  As long as folks don't make fun of my various projects, or the lame layout map I tried to create.  I'm actually fairly proud of the formulas going from one spreadsheet and feeding into another.  And I finally have one master calendar which covers everything.  My husband refers to it as The One Calendar, sorta like The One Ring from "Lord of the Rings": "The One Calendar to rule them, and in the planning guide them....."  Dorky, but y'all get the idea.

So if anyone wants to see it, just lemme know......
Kathryn Kerby, sometimes a better programmer than farmer
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA
Ruminations - essays on the farming life at frogchorusfarm.com/weblog.html