market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] chicks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: carla puller <carladababe AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] chicks
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:07:22 -0800

Hello,
       As a matter of fact I am picking up my order of 10 chicks (pullets,) tomorrow at Cackle Hatchery in Lebanon,Missouri. Lucky for me it's only an hour drive from where I live. I ordered 4 Easter Eggers, 2 Black Jersey Giants, 2 Delaware and 2 Barred Rock. Just for eggs, I don't have the stomach for butchering. I have heard good things and a few bad things from all, usually coming from the problems of shipping live babies. They tend to ship in bulk so they will stay warm in transit, especially during the colder weather. The catalog says you have to order in 5's when picking them up and 15 when shipping, but when I called in my order they were more than accommodating. They will also vaccinate for Marek's. There is a chicken forum that I have had alot of fun with, and is very informative, backyardchickens.com, I have seen this very question brought with lots of responses. I am so excited, I am new to this chicken thing, as excited as when I grew my first tomato from seed. Good luck, Carla