market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] chicks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] chicks
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:21:30 -0600

I've only ordered from one of those--Ideal--and one other that's not on your
list--Estes Hatchery. I picked both because they were geographically close
to me and the chicks wouldn't be in the mail long. In the case of Estes, I
combined it with a tractor purchase and picked the chicks up myself. Of the
two batches, the ones from Estes were a lot better. Better temperament,
better conformation to the breed standard. But I don't have much basis for
comparison. I just ordered another batch from Cackle--again because they're
geographically close to me. The less time the chicks spend in the mail, the
better, IMO. The only reason I didn't order from Estes again was that I did
get a particularly *mean* SOB of a rooster from them, though in the grand
scheme of things, mean roosters aren't all that bad--his job is to protect
the hens and he did that in spades. However, I very nearly killed myself
chasing him with a hoe one day in my pajamas (before he finally met his maker
in a little bit saner way) and didn't want to have to replay that scene again
any time soon. :-)

--L