market-farming - [Market-farming] Early Carrot Germination

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Early Carrot Germination
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 08:49:00 -0800 (PST)

I have a question about carrot germination in the early spring. I planted a 40 foot bed of carrots in one high tunnel on Feb 9th.  I have wetted them down and have kept the ground moist. Soil temps started of around 45 and have climbed to near 60 degrees. I know that carrots are slow to germinate, but they usually come up in 6-9 days all the rest of the year I have planted them. I can not find any. It has been over 14 days?  Is this usual? The spinach, turnips, radishes, lettuce and green onions are all coming up very nice.

Am I just being impatient? Weather has been warmer and sunny.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas