market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] irrigating from a stream

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] irrigating from a stream
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 00:16:52 -0600

Down stream water rights can be a legal issue. I would start with your
county engineer and the DNR.

As an aside -

I asked the county folks about building a small weir on our creek to
create a pond and reservoir to irrigate from - and to give the tree
frogs a place to breed. Turns out there are many down-stream legal
implications.

Half a year later a beaver took up residence and built an admirable
weir of her own, providing me with the reservoir I was looking for. I
called a half dozen state agencies and none can sight any legal
reasons that I should remove her dam.

So if the state denies your request, consider training a beaver. :-)

Joe