market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Irrigation from stream

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Flying Plow Farm CSA <flyingplowfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Irrigation from stream
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 11:11:40 -0500

we irrigate out of a creek w/ a gas powered pump. It was a pretty pricey set up, but since we are renting land, it made more sense than upgrading the submersed well-pump on one of the existing wells (they wouldn't have been strong enough).

as far as food safety...we only use wobblers (overhead sprinklers) for germination, then we switch to drip, so there is not creek water in contact with edible greens/fruit anytime close to harvest (not to mention the plants don't like to get rained on when it is sunny).

we fall way under the level that needs a withdrawl permit for our state (here it is 10,000 gal/day average over a year).  There is a small chance we do 10,000 gal/day, but only for about 30-40 days/year.

I'm sure that iowa state lab in ames  has a water test for ag use. Our organic certification does not require water testing for irrigation (check w/ your certifier).
--sarah
Flying Plow Farm CSA
(443) 686-9786
www.flyingplowfarm.com

Find us on Facebook and Twitter

--
Flying Plow Farm CSA

  • Re: [Market-farming] Irrigation from stream, Flying Plow Farm CSA, 02/23/2011