market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Floriana corn seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Floriana corn seed
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:36:28 -0500

You could try a Wapsie Valley variety if you are looking for a good flavor (and protein) corn with a tint of red to some of it.

I've been using a Kruggs Yellow.  Looking at getting two other varieties to plant and cross pollinate to maybe sweeten it up and get the stalks a bit taller...to better survive river bottom planting.  I had a chance to to pick up some Boone County White but sold the couple bushels I got to another farmer.

Our flavor is good.  Lots of local chefs have been enjoying it.  What I need is a sifter so I can mill once and separate.  I loosen my stones a bit for pollenta.  I also do just a bit more for a coarser grind for a local bakery which they use to add texture to the exterior of a whole wheat loaf.

We try to stick to dent varieties just because its easier to clean in bulk.  Right now we have been pulling back from growing more varieties of grains so we can focus on growing a good cornmeal crop and getting our neighbor to grow wheat and rye.  This has been an very long process.

I am curious where are you getting your Bloody Butcher?  I am looking for at least a reasonable price in bulk and all I can find is small quantities.  I need at least 150 pounds and everyone seems to want to deal in pound or packets.  I have never grown a flint corn and had samples and thought that they would plant better in my my no-till with bean plates, the same I use to plant black turtle beans, rather than traditional corn plates.

Thoughts?

I would suggest visiting http://www.openpollinated.com for some more ideas.

Cheers!

Richard Stewart