market-farming - [Market-farming] Floriana corn seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Floriana corn seed
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 19:32:42 -0600

Help.... I missed the Floriana corn boat this year. Does anyone have 1 to 10 pounds they would sell to me? It looks like a prime grinding corn and with six Meadows mills being set up I need some... Have Bloody Butcher and Mandan Bride already. Or at least ordered :)

When talking with Bob Hege (Sr.) at Meadows he mentioned a customer of his that grinds major volumes of grits/polenta. He uses a mix of sweet corn, popcorn and dent corns. Any suggestions as to varieties? I tried an unknown popcorn and it worked well. Also tried and unknown sweet corn many moons back and it gave the grits/polenta an aroma that was earth shaking, like just walking into a corn boil for the first time. It was great. So I am open to suggestions on good old fashioned sweetcorns to dry down for seed to grind.

Thanks for all the help in the past.

Most respectfully,
Mike Rock

Oh, if anyone wants things ground in the southern Wisconsin area, I should be set up this late spring.