market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mulching pathways

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mulching pathways
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 17:11:39 -0500

I'm sure that works. . . but omg the bcs implements are expensive, especially when you have a tractor and used equipment is cheap.  That said the flail mower is laid up because the bearings on the rear roller were toast.  Parts are from a custom repair and can't be found.  What about switching up plastic mulch beds to wide (10-12') centers and planting a real cover crop between. . . one that you could use a drill on.  Somehow work that into the rotation. . . but then I would be running a tractor on the plastic edge and pulling would be a challenge.    trial, error. . . compromise. . . adjust. . . and plenty of time to second guess yourself in the winter : )

John