market-farming - [Market-farming] Difficulty starting Romaine/Cos Lettuce

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Difficulty starting Romaine/Cos Lettuce
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:09:09 -0700 (PDT)

I started 8 flats of lettuce to transplant 1.5 weeks ago and all come up wonderful, except the Winter Density and Jericho.  In one flat I sowed equal amounts of  Winter Density, Jericho and Rouge D'Hiver.  All the Rouge D'Hiver came up and none of the Winter Density or Jericho.  Two days after all the Rouge came up a few of the other types came up. Out of the 24 plugs, maybe 2 or 3 germinated.  Now 1 week later I am seeing a few more come up (maybe up to 10-12 or so).  It was almost like I didn't even plant them.

Fast forward 1 week and I started more lettuce last weekend. All the Rouge D'Hiver is up and I am not seeing the other two yet.  The Winter Density is new seed from Johnny's and the Jericho was planted this spring and I am using up the rest now.  I didn't have any problems with it this spring and early summer. The flats were filled, wetted and sat over night. The next evening, seeds were dropped on top and gently pressed into the soil with my thumb.  Finally I misted them with water and placed under the lights, in my basement grow room.  Temps are in the low 70's inside.

Any ideas for starting these seeds. The packet states a good germination rate. The other 7 types of lettuce all came up, so I know my method works well. It is just weird to see 8 flats all nice and green and then these two so sparse and bare.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas