market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Alternative CSA Models

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Ferree <john AT seldomseenfarm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Alternative CSA Models
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 06:13:01 -0400

[sorry for the late reply. . . ]

Hmm. . . We started doing a swap box this year.  I have not sought feedback on it yet, but my impression is that it isn't terribly popular.  I wonder what the difference is.  We've only been packing 3-4 different items in the swap, mostly items that are high demand or not in the share.  Andy's system is similar to what I'm looking into.  Our drops are spread out and small, think the biggest is 25 shares.  If we were to switch to a market table type CSA, we would need to double that.  My surveying has given me the impression that people want to live/work 15 minutes from the pickup location, and large drops in Indianapolis are difficult.  The area is just too large, and interested people too spread out.

I keep trying to reinvent the wheel with the CSA, and am beginning to wonder whether it's worth it.  The CSA is more expensive to run. . . and offers customers less choice than the FM, yet we offer CSA shares slightly discounted from FM prices.  There's got to be a way, but is it worth implementing a new system when I'm not around all the time. . . probably not.

Thanks for the feedback,
John

--
Seldom Seen Farm