market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Zucchini problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Zucchini problem
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 07:17:42 -0700

Patrick. Imidacloprid is applied only one time at  seeding or transplanting. You can drench root balls of transplants while they are in the flats or water them after planting. You can plant seeds and go back and water each hill or inject it through drip lines. Main thing is to protect the plant while its small. The pesticide only lasts a few weeks and is mostly gone by the time of flowering and harvest. Later in the season you have to use other insecticides together with your weekly fungicide applications to continue control. Its not recomended to use imidacolprid more than once a season on each crop to prevent insect resistance. The two ounce per plant example I gave was already diluted in water, not 2 ounces of actual pesticide per plant. Calculating the exact amount of imidacloprid per plant especially if like me your planting fractions of an acre per week is very time consuming because your using micro amounts of pesticide... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.