market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] poison ivy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jeff & Sue Snyder" <snyderjs AT utmi.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] poison ivy
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 23:38:40 -0400

I was allergic to poison ivy while growing up, as was my mom (extremely so). In high school I took three shots of poison ivy serum, a thick, green, almost jelly-like substance in the syringe. These were given by our local doctor so he could observe any immediate adverse reactions. Took three one year, two the next and one the next and I’ve never gotten it since. Mom took the shots and her sensitivity was greatly reduced. They stopped offering the shots around here, citing liver problems in some folks. Never gave us any trouble. I really don’t recommend eating it. My Grandfather walked through the smoke of a brush fire with PI in it and nearly died from the terrible effects on his lungs and throat. My dad was never affected by it; could practically roll in it and not get a rash. The rest of us, not so lucky until after the shots. One of my colleagues at work has goats and they are very effective at controlling  the spread of poison ivy, though it still takes a few years to eradicate it.

Jeff

Swinging Tree Farm

Greenville, Michigan

believed to be clean.