market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Poison Ivy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Poison Ivy
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 23:53:57 -0500

I am getting itchy just from reading all these poison ivy posts.  I had to go to a dermatologist for the problem.... he said: about 30% of the population will not react at all to exposure (it's a genetic thing). If you are sensitive, each exposure will get worse because no tolerance level is possible once the immune system "recognizes" the agent.  Become an expert in poison ivy identification, he said to me as he wrote out cortisone prescriptions, because you will need to see it for the rest of your life.  And I have done so, bravely yanking out box elder seedlings or brambles that people wouldn't touch and cowering on the path when the Bad Boy is unmistakable.  It nearly killed me...or maybe I just had an entire summer hoping to die.  I can hardly bear to even think/read of eating the stuff.
Shawnee, zone 5 and still perplexed that any plant is off limits to me. Me! Geeez!