market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wilted lettuce at market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jay Sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wilted lettuce at market
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:24:05 -0700 (PDT)

I agree sometime you can sell everything and sometimes you have to bring home the last three.
I have found that having different sized display boxes really helped.  I am sure you know that.  As my market goes, I am constantly restocking produce til I run out.  Then I keep putting it in smaller boxes until it is all sold.  Nobody wants to buy 3 cucumbers in a big empty box.  But those 3 cucs in a quart box might move them. This speeds up my tear down time. I  am taking tables down as I have less and less. It gives the illusion that I fill all my tables.  On my best day ever, I started with 3-6 foot tables, 3- 4 foot tables.  I ended the market with 1-4 foot table and my Ez-Up.

Maybe I will try more greens, but until then I will try to raise my prices.

Jay

Jay's Jellies, Produce and More
Clay Center, Kansas
www.jaysjellies.com