market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vole Salad Bar

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "waldenfarm" <waldenfarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vole Salad Bar
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:01:57 -0500

Greetings from Vole Acres. I've been trying to reduce the number of voles here for years without using poisons- don't want sick & dying voles to get eaten by black snakes, hawks & owls. I think we've reached some kind of ecological balance.

The idea for "vole proof" benches is a good one and sounds easy & cheap. To exclude them from the green house, Dig a trench around the perimeter and bury a U-shaped piece of 1/4" hardware cloth- 6" deep by 6" wide. This will stop new ones from burrowing in. You'll have to kill the ones already in residence. Or, run them out by "smoking the burrows before trenching.

I also use square baskets made of hardware cloth to plant bulbs in flower beds. Voles love tulips a hyacinths. But they don't eat daffodils, thank goodness!

Good luck in the vole wars, and may the force be with you.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm
Waldens Ridge, TN