market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wheatgrass

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Clark Furlong <clark AT crookedcarrot.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wheatgrass
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:10:05 -0700

I work for a farm here in the Phoenix, AZ area which grows wheatgrass in a temperature controlled greenhouse. In our experience it will bring high dollar per square foot but is very much a niche market. There are wheatgrass juicers lurking out there but they are hard to find so it takes patience.

Mold is mostly an issue for us in the hot and humid summer months but is controllable. As we understand most of the molds are not pathogenic.

Thanks,
Clark

Beth Spaugh wrote:
I am trying to sort through notebooks of notes and have found the following from a Steve Moore workshop:

Greenhouse wheatgrass –

highest return on space  $3/wk/ft2

grown in trays, cut into pieces

hard red winter wheat 28 cents of seed into $12 wheatgrass for juice

ANyone have more info/experience. I have Googled and am getting some background, but would like to hear from others' experience.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY
Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com
Become a Fan on Facebook

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe