market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cherry Sized Tomato

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cherry Sized Tomato
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:24:31 -0500

On Nov 28, 2009, at 12:08 PM, Marty Kraft wrote:

I got some sun gold tomato seeds from Johnny's and liked the fruit
very much. Does anyone know of an heirloom variety that is as sweet
and good?

My current favorite yellow is Lemon Drop from Seed Savers catalogue; but it hasn't been in the catalogue for a couple of years. I'm listing it through Seed Savers Exchange this year, but I don't have huge amounts of seed. (I think there's another cherry tomato out there called Lemon Drop, but the description is considerably different; the Lemon Drop I mean is a regular sized cherry tomato, not a currant type.)

Having said that: I find that tomato flavor varies considerably with exact location it's grown in: not only different climates, but different soils, can produce different flavors in the same variety. So you pretty much have to try everything on your own place.