market-farming - [Market-farming] Using Pelletized Composted Chicken Manure

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Using Pelletized Composted Chicken Manure
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 23:42:39 -0400

I'm thinking of using a Fertrell product that is, apparently, made of pelletized composted chicken manure from Delaware.

I know these products are not all the same. This one, supposedly, is made by the state of DE.

Although some people on this list are using pelletized chicken manure in their potting mixes, Fertrell 'warned me' that if I put this chicken manure product on my lettuce beds, I'd better incorporate it or it might cause burning.

Now, the fertrell 'consultant' didn't really inspire much confidence, so I think he may have been giving an opinion and not necessarily a fact.

It is my current practice to apply dry fertilizers mixed with compost at a rate of about 10 gallons (total) per 100sq ft of bed and to NOT incorporate the mixture into the bed.

This is all the more essential right now since I need to replant some lettuce beds and recent rains have made them pretty much jello. We can plant into them but could never rake into them.

I do feel that the beds need a fertility input. But, man, I'd hate to lose an entire planting of lettuce.

What do you think? (And why do I not believe the 'composted' in the label of this product??)

Thanks

-Allan in WV