market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Two Onion Farm <farmer AT twoonionfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seeders
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 06:54:47 -0500

We have used an Earthway push seeder for five years in rock-free silt loam. I have been pleased with it. I have needed to spend some time with calibration - finding which seeder plate works well for each variety. Sometimes you need to make 2 passes over the same row to get the proper seed density.

The soil must be smooth and well tilled for the seeder to work well.

It definitely does not handle small mustard family seeds well. They get behind the seed plate and are ground up. E.g. Hakurei turnip. I have been able to plant rutabaga without big problems.

Also I could never find a good seed plate for parsnips or salsify.

With the Earthway my recommendation is to buy all the available seeder plates at first. They are all useful for us, and not very expensive.

Chris
SW Wisconsin

Chris & Juli McGuire
Two Onion Farm