market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: "David R. Hibbeln" <dhibbeln AT earthlink.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seeders
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:48:46 -0400

I am using a 3 row Jang seeder and am very happy with it. It does a nice job of singulating seed and handles a fairly wide range of seed sizes. I also have a Planet Jr. #4 and 300 and use them for beans and peas where spacing isn't critical.

I started with Earthways and was never satisfied with the results and wouldn't recommend them to anyone who is trying to make money, although they are fine for a home garden. I also have one of the Glaser pin-point seeders from Johnny's and haven't been real pleased with the results.
Andy

David R. Hibbeln wrote:
Folks,

I am looking a buying a seeder this year. I'd like to get a push style Planet Jt, but $625.00 is a tad steep.
My soil is gravely. Its typical Vermont/Eastern Vermont stuff. Not like the
nice loam of the Illinois Praire where I grew up.

I'm looking at Johnny's Seeds version of the Plant Jr. and the Earthway
Seeder and the Korean Import mentioned in a prior post.

I've got a one and half acre plot and look to be expanding in outlying years.

My questions are:

Which of the above three will have the longest life in rocky soils?

Of the three which in folk's opinion is the better bet overall long term?

Should one buy all the possible seed plates and attachements at intial
purchase?

Regards,

DRH