market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pinpoint seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynn AT pcisys.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pinpoint seeder
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:20:20 -0700

Beth and Allan, I appreciate your feedback.

I have custody of a neighbor’s old Planet Jr.   He doesn’t use it but doesn’t want to sell it  J

Maybe I’ll work with it more on small seeds. I’ve had a tough time with it but I’m not very patient with things like that and after reading the whole process to change seed size I don’t think I’d do any better with the pinpoint.  And my hoophouse soil is FAR from perfect!  Especially after I had my neighbor take his skid-steer tiller through it last spring to work in the wheat grass cover – way too deep and we lost all the nice soil we’d been working on.

I’ll be more cognizant of what seed I’m planting (last year’s lettuce vs this year’s seed makes a huge difference in germination).  Maybe do more transplants for nice head spacing too. I was thinking about carrots, beets, chard, radish, all my herbs, but once we get the soil better the spacing will do better too. I like your suggestion about rolling the soil Allan and we’ll try a barrel.  Got rid of an old sod roller that must have weighed 300#. We could hardly move the thing. No clue what they did with it.

Since I’ve got boys that love to use their knives I think we’ll stick with that for harvesting – this year anyway.

THANKS again!  I’m glad I checked as I’m sure I’d end up with both technical and personality issues!

Marcy