market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pinpoint seeder

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pinpoint seeder
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:00:33 -0500

I don’t like mine. Johnny’s offered for me to send it back for them to work on but I haven’t rounded up a large enough sturdy box yet. Apparently they have made some adjustments since I got mine 3 years ago. I was going to take it to the NOFA conference for them to take back, but ended up not going, so…

The technical issues – 1) the soil tends to build up behind the roller and the seeds don’t come out. It may work well in a perfect soil at a perfect moisture level. I have sandy soil in my hoophouse and it doesn’t not work well unless quite wet.

2) The belts pop off and aren’t real noticeable, so you don’t realize you are not sowing seeds.

The personal issues – this is not a set the dial and go seeder. You take out hex wrenches and set a base hole size. Then you have to adjust the brushes on each feedbin. There are no “marks” to adjust to, you have to figure out and mark it yourself. It might work well for me for one crop, but lettuce is different from arugula, is different from mizuna, etc.

I wish I had saved my bucks. I am not patient enough. I know a large CSA that uses an old Planet Jr and is very happy with that.

Also, I have the greens harvester and have reverted to a knife. It just pushed my salad mix down rather than cut it (yes, it was sharp, though it is rusty now) and I had trouble emptying the salad into a container without spilling it. Call me uncoordinated.

Again, I think they may have solved the technical issues. My main problem is probably personality.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe