market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Marking supplies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynn AT pcisys.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Marking supplies
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:33:52 -0700

Someone on this list gave me the idea last year and I want to say thanks and pass it on. I was reminded of it looking through catalogs this morning with all the nice wooden garden markers.

I had two mini blinds that had been replaced in the house. If you cut up the slats they make great markers.  I found that longer pieces didn’t work real well – they tend to bend and break or pull out of the ground, but up to 10” or so do really good.  Great winter job for kids.  I cut the “bottom” at an angle or a point for outside markers.   Saves a few bucks anyway.  You can usually find some really cheap at thrift stores.

Also for UV proof markers that last the entire season, use the Sharpie INDUSTRIAL markers. I just got a 3-pack at the office supply store – way cheaper there than the seed catalogs.  There’s nothing worse than labeling all the rows or flats with something that fades!

Marcy