market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Toolbar (was: potatoes)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pwors AT svn.net
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Toolbar (was: potatoes)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:33:21 -0700 (PDT)

I've been following this thread for a few days. There are 30" between my
tires. I have a 3x3 toolbar, on which I have a 6" wide shovel, centered.
This is what I make my potato furrow with. I plant the spuds by hand, then
make a pass with 2 hilling disks, one on each side, facing in, at about a
30 degree angle to the direction of travel, with their inside edges about
24 inches apart. This pretty well buries the potatoes under 3-6" of soil,
in a 30" bed which is slightly domed. Sometimes I rake by hand afterwards.
The next furrow is made with the tire at the edge the previous bed, so if
you assume a 10" wide tire tread, my furrows are centered at 40" from each
other. When the plants are 6" or so high, I hill them the same way I
planted them- One pass with the discs. For the second hilling, I move the
discs outwards and run them deeper, so as to make use of the full 30" of
soil to hill the plants nice & high.

Am I missing something, or is this pretty much the way others without a
planter do it?

Good Luck

Peter Worsley