market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing Garlic Scallions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing Garlic Scallions
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:32:38 -0500

Garlic is my favorite money making crop....I plant them close together and then thin every other plant as green garlic....bundled 3-6 for 1.50 to 2.00 in Northern illinois.  Next come the scapes...bundled 6-10 for 1.50 to 2.00, then at last, the fat luscious bulbs......recipes included of course.  Three crops from one planting.....
If I had a bounty of green garlic scallions that I couldn't sell fresh, I would chop and dry them (Like big chives) and sell late season as a seasoning.  I wish that I was close to your market; I would buy all your garlic scallions...yummy! particularly after the long winter with old garlic sprouting everywhere.
Shawnee, zone 5, watching for the first sunshiny dandelions to confirm spring.