market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pricing Garlic Scallions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: BillOhio <billohio AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pricing Garlic Scallions
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 18:21:41 -0400

Allen,

I'm thinking last year we sold a fair number at a 25 - 50 cents each as a salad addition...nobody acted like they'd ever seen them before, and we had some educating and sampling to do before they started going.  These were pretty nice-sized, still-tender shoots that I'd doubleplanted because I didn't want to make another bed. People naturally started asking for them about the time they got too tough to be good.

We participated in a market at Whole Foods in Columbus, and vendors there were charging $1.00-$1.50 apiece; not sure how many they were selling though.

Allen, here I was feeling good just having one 150x4' bed this year, and you've got so many you don't even miss 2 beds! :)

Hope this helps,
Bill Huhman
Central Ohio