market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 56, Issue 26

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Doerunfarmtn AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 56, Issue 26
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:15:36 EDT

I must agree with Bill on the issue of sub par produce as a choice for a lot of consumers. We live in the South, Zone 6b. We regularly shop prices at the better markets in our area) and are appalled at the visual appearance of what they offer (I can only imagine the amount of nutrition that's lacking let alone the flavor!). These are Certified Organic prices, and since our farm is Certified Organic, those are the prices we shop.  Here is just one example: Two medium yellow squash with bruises, shriveled ends for $4, same with zucchini. I think they get it in and just keep it on the shelf until it disintegrates, just to say they carry "Certified Organic" produce.  I can't imagine anyone paying money for something that looks like that. And, this is not a one time shopping experience where I've observed this.