market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sales
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 16:05:25 -0700 (PDT)

> Since the beginning of august, sales and the number of customers have off
> greatly at the farmer's markets in my area. Do you think the drop off is
> seasonal or because of the economy? Any ideas?

As a market manager...over the years we also saw a regular drop off in
over all sales at the market this time of year. We decided to do
something about it and started to schedule "events" to draw folk in. And
yes indeed, it works! Today we did a Green Festival, with music and all
sorts of alternative energy folk, and, key factor, lots of advertisement,
radio, paper, flyers etc.
In 2 weeks we have our Garlic Festival and then for the end of the market
the Harvest Festival. It makes all the difference in the world and keeps
us viable through the end of the season. We had so much luck with it that
we added an indoor Holiday Market the weekend before Thanksgiving that
most of the vendors consider their best.