market-farming - [Market-farming] Hurricane Dean

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Karen Sutherland & Roots Farm <rootsfarm AT marpin.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hurricane Dean
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 06:40:46 -0400

Title: Karen Sutherland
Finally heard from partner in Dominica (landlines & cell down almost 2 days; I'm in U.S. for visit)  after Hurricane Dean swept through.  He and our household animals got through without injury (Thank you, Jah!).  Tree fell on farm truck but it can start up and our decrepit rental house got more decrepit but roof stayed on.  No way to get to farm yet (fallen trees, landslides), but all reports are that ag on island pretty well decimated by the wind/rain combo.  This is a land of small farms/farmers who live on the edge at the best of times. Please send prayers for them all.

What a Sisysphian thing farming is!  And yet my thoughts are of gratitude for what survived, that we are blessed to have work that lets us be outside nurturing life, and how to best get going yet again.

Best wishes to all,

Karen
--

Karen Sutherland