market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sales
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:23:27 -0500

June also is our peak month, although it slid well into July this year.
What
about everybody else? Is June your best month?

Debbie
west central Ohio

Here in SC KY, our best sales are from mid-April when we open to
Memorial Day. That's because we have plant sales, and they are a lot
more profitable than food sales. We also have several vendors now with
high tunnels, so we do have a nice produce selection from the beginning.

Sales never pick up from the starting school slump the first of August -
even though we run through October and can have produce outdoors until
mid-December most years. We are also a university town, but have very
few, if any, students attending the market, and not many university
personnel, although the president is a terrific supporter. We have
found that our email ordering and delivery is a much better tool than
Farmers' Market in the fall/winter. Every year we wonder why we do FM
in October and start deliveries in November, but since we helped start
the market and sit on the board, we feel an obligation to attend until
it is over for the year.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm