market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] "organic": actual USDA regulations

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] "organic": actual USDA regulations
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:54:59 -0400

I have to admit that I just don't get what the problem is with getting certified. I've been certified since 2005 and it isn't a painful process. The standard isn't perfect, but it does establish a floor and it simplifies conversation with new customers,
"Are you organic?"
> "Yes, I'm certified organic by NOFA-NY Certified Organic LLC"

Then , if the customer has more questions, I'm happy to answer them and to explain what we do and why and how locally produced certified organic is different than organic purchased at the grocery store or Walmart.

Before the standard, organic meant whatever the farmer wanted it to mean. Now there is a common definition. It probably isn't the best definition, but something designed by a committee never is. Having a definition makes it easier to have a conversation with a customer. If a grower wants to do more, to go "beyond organic", there is nothing in the certification process which will prevent them from doing this.
The problem with many "organic" farmers who do not certify is that their definition of organic may be substantially different than what most would consider to be organic. I used to sell at a farmers market with a :"organic grower" who liked to use a little round-up around the barn and to clean up problem areas. Many other non certified "organic" growers use rotenone and other substances which are proscribed by the standard. Or they may spread raw manure and take a crop off it in just a few months. If you asked them to describe their practices, they would be happy to share, but what they do doesn't necessarily match with what most would consider to be organic.

Andy
www.FellenzFamilyFarm.com